vrijdag 15 april 2011

Blog 6 - Norway

Hey!

This week we are in the last country of our trip, Norway. I didn’t know a lot about this country before I came here, so I hoped to learn some things during my stay.
Norway is mostly known for its forests and great fishing opportinuties. Export to foreign countries is very important for the Norwegian economy. Over 40% of the GDP is brought in by exports. Norway’s exports consist for the majority of petroleum and natural gas. The government is also very important in Norway. Over 50% of domestic bussines is owned by the government and the country has an expensive social wellfare system.
I didn’t know Norway is such an important exporter of petroleum. When I think of Norway, I think of wood and forests, maybe of fishing, but certainly not of petroleum. The fact that they are such important producers of petroleum means that they are very important for other countries. Everyone needs oil, so they will always have a demand. The fact that the oil prices are very high at the moment will definitely influence their export.
Another point that surprised me, is the fact that they aren’t a member of the European Union. Norwegian voters rejected the European Union membership. I think being a member would be good for this country. Being a part of such a group brings a lot of opportunities for your country. However, they are a member of the European Economic Area, which gives Norway most of the rights and obligations of the EU market. But they don’t have a lot of influence on EU decisions. So I think it would be best for this country to join the EU as soon as possible!          
If you want to know more about Norway and its economy, go to: http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/Europe/Norway-ECONOMY.html
I’ve really enjoyed visiting this country, but I’m sad it is the last one of our trip. This was a great experience and I have learned so much about all the countries we passed through. I would recommand all my friends to do the same. When you make a trip around the world, you see, feel and experience things you’ve never seen before.
I hope you’ve enjoyed reading my blog and that you also learned something new about all these countries.
Elisa Debleu

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten