vrijdag 25 februari 2011

Nigeria

Hi everyone,
So, this is my first blog. I started my journey in Nigeria, more particularly in Lagos. Because of my studies, Marketing, I’m very interested in business in general. So I thought it might be nice to stay in the biggest business centre of Nigeria for a while. What I have learned from my 1 week stay in Nigeria is that it has an amazing and impressive economy. So, this is something I should really tell you more about.
First of all, the currency here is the naira (sign: ; code: NGN) and it is subdivided into 100 kobo. You have 3 sorts of coins: 50 kobo, 1 & 2 naira. You have also banknotes: 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200, 500 & 1000 naira. At this moment 1 € = 210 Naira and 1USD = 154 Naira. Once you got that, it’s time for some shopping!
Another thing you should know about Nigeria’s economy is that Nigeria is ranked the 44th worldwide and 3rd in Africa in factory output. That is something I would never had expected! An example: in 2000, oil and gas exports accounted for more than 98% of export earnings and 83% of federal government revenue. Well, that can count! The largest trading partner of Nigeria is the United Kingdom, followed by the United States.
At last, I will tell you something about transport in Nigeria. The main thing about transport in Nigeria is that it’s owned by the government. And of course, that is a major constraint to economic development. There are 3 big ports you must see when you visit Nigeria: Lagos, Port Harcourt and Calabar. These ports are really impressive! When I visited the Lagos port, I met someone who told me that the docking fees for freighters are among the highest in the world! Besides the ports, Nigeria has another important source of transportation: airports. There are several airports in Nigeria, but only 4 of them currently receive international flights: Lagos, Kano, Port Harcourt and Abuja. What’s remarkable here is that Nigeria Airways, the airport owned by the government, is not in the list of the airports who receive international flights!
I was really blown away when I read this on a webpage. Before my trip to Nigeria, I thought Nigeria was poor, far away from reality, … But after being here, that image has changed totally! Nigeria is ranked the 44th (worldwide!) in factory output. It has 3 big ports and several airports. So unlike what I thought, Nigeria is not at all cut off from the outside world, the real world.
If you want to know more about the impressive economy of Nigeria, here is the source I used: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Nigeria
I hope you enjoyed my explanation. Tomorrow I leave Nigeria behind and go to the next stop of our travel: Tunisia. See you then for another interesting blog!
Bye,
Libera Noerens

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten