maandag 28 februari 2011

Blog 1 - Nigeria

Hey
This is the first blog I am going to post during our journey from Nigeria to Norway. All of these countries have a very interesting culture and political system. I think I will learn and see a lot during this trip. To keep you updated, I will post a blog about every country I visit.
Nigeria is the first country we (me and a couple of friends) visited. It is a beautiful country with a lot of historical background. Nigeria has the largest population in Africa and you can find a lot of natural resources throughout the country. One of these natural resources is the oil-production. Nigeria is the six largest oil-producing nation in the world. It also has a well-educated and industrious society.
This surprised me! Before I came to this country, I thought it was an underdeveloped country, where most people live in poverty. But I discovered this isn’t true at all. Many Nigerians have a good education and a well-paid job. Because off it’s natural resources, Nigeria has a prosperous economy.
While we were travelling through the country, I saw churches of different cultures. I found out that many different religions are followed in Nigeria. There is a policy of religious freedom in this country, so everyone can believe in the religion he or she wants. Most of the Christians live in the south of the country, Muslims are located in the north. Of course there are also indigenous believes in Nigeria, but only a small part off the population follows these believes.
I think it is really important to have a policy of religious freedom, especially when there are many different believes in one country. People should accept someones believe, even if it isn’t the same as their own. This is still a major problem in Belgium. Some people are not open enough to other religions. They don’t understand what those other religions are about, because they don’t try to understand. Everybody should be free to believe what he or she wants, weither it is Christianity, Islam, Judaism or another religion.
As my journey continued through Nigeria, these were the things I noticed most.
If you want to know more about this country, you can go to the source I used:
http://www.kwintessential.co.uk/resources/global-etiquette/nigeria.html
The next country where me and my friends will stop, is Tunisia. While we are in Tunisia, I will write another blog on the culture and political problems. I hope you will keep following my adventures during my trip from Nigeria to Norway.
Bye,
Elisa Debleu

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten